Tuesday 9 January 2018

Mount TBR Personal Challenge

Thank you to all the wonderful folk who took the time (and yes, it was a commitment) to scroll through my one and/or two massive TBR lists to help me make my 10 book selection for 2018.

I acknowledge that reading just 10 books from my stupendous TBR will barely make a dint on it, but I have to start somewhere.

Given the size of my TBR lists I was pleasantly surprised that enough books received multiple votes to make this little survey work.

The book that received the most votes with an outstanding FIVE nominations (and will, therefore, be my first TBR read for 2018) is...

Two books raked in FOUR votes apiece - 
Kafka on the Shore (which is perfect given my upcoming trip to Japan) and 
one of my Annotated Austen's (which I will choose and save for Austen in August).

THREE votes were given to Stoner and South Riding.

I could have made my entire choice from the number of books that received TWO votes each -
Till Apples Grow On An Orange Tree (which I will save for #AusReadingMonth in November)
Name of the Rose
Heart's Invisible Furies
Anything is Possible
The Count of Monte Cristo
Reading Lolita
Secondhand Time
Infidel (I will try to read these 3 non-fiction titles for #NonFicNov)
Far From the Madding Crowd
The Museum of Innocence

Plus any book by Barbara Pym (I'm planning a #Pymalong at some point in the near-ish future, so I will save these books for that time).

That's a GRAND total of 15 books. 

I plan to read 10 of them, so it's good to have some choices and some reserves if I manage to fit in more. To keep me motivated, I will join up to Adam @RoofBeamReader's TBR Challenge.


I can proudly say that we are ONE week into the new year and I have NOT added any new books to my TBR pile! I don't start seeing reps at work until the third week in January, so I should be able to hold out for one more week before surreptitiously adding new books to the piles and piles and piles of unread books.

#TBR2018RBR

15 comments:

  1. I found a used copy of Infidel a few days ago. I've had that on my wishlist for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my regular customers feels that everyone should read Infidel and as such, he has given copies to so many people, that he keeps this book in our non-fiction top ten all year :-)

      Delete
  2. I would have voted for The Name of the Rose, because I have it "on tap" for sometime this year! And the Count of Monte Cristo is a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Count may be an ambitious choice given I'm reading Les Mis this year as well, but I'll see how I go :-)

      Delete
  3. Yay for 84 Charing Cross Road. You have lots of great other titles to choose from so I think you're going to have a great time with your reading challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Reading Lolita in Tehran.It's a book every book lover should read, imo, because it shows the lengths people (in this case, women) will go to just to read books.

    South Riding is on my my TBR, too.

    Gook luck with your list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading from my shelves--I got those books for a reason! Loved 84 Charing Cross--you'll have to watch the movie with Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins--very true to the book. Also loved South Riding--interestingly, I watched the TV version first, and found the book to be superb. I confess that I never finished Reading Lolita--it was good, but I fell out of the mood somehow. Far From the Madding Crowd is my favorite Hardy novel--wonderful characters and lots to think about in how the story unfolds.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy Hardy's books but have somehow missed reading this one, sounds like I've saved the best for last :-)

      Delete
  6. 15 books selected....how many are by Australian writers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only one Aussie book on the list, but I'm sure I will sneak in a few more as the year progresses :-)

      Delete
  7. What a great list. I must have missed the vote but I doubt the results would have looke a lot different. ;)

    I have read quite a few of your TBR books:
    84 Charing Cross Road
    Kafka on the Shore
    The Name of the Rose
    Reading Lolita in Tehran
    Secondhand Time
    Infidel
    The Museum of Innocence

    You can find my reviews here. I would love to hear from you once you've read either of the books.

    Marianne from Let's Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You've read half my TBR list for this year!
      I'll definitely be checking in on your thoughts about each one as I get to it.

      Delete
    2. I was just as surprised as you were. I have followed your blog for a while and we do have a similar taste. Looking forward to your reviews.

      Happy Reading,
      Marianne

      Delete
  8. 84 Charing Cross Road is just wonderful, and the movie is also great. (Fun fact: Ann Bancroft loved the book so much that her husband Mel Brooks bought her the movie rights as a present. Nice gift!). I also loved South Riding and Far from the Madding Crowd. Stoner is also excellent. Good luck on the reading challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry that I missed chatting about your TBRs but the good folks have lead you in some interesting directions. I've only ever read one Pym, but have bought many so will be very excited about the #Pymalong when it comes.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has now moved to Wordpress.
Please visit This Reading Life to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.